The Albany-Dougherty Planning Commission is a joint city/county advisory board involved in planning and zoning activities. It is composed of ten members, five of which are appointed by the City and five by the County, for three year terms. For more information, refer to information at the bottom of this page or call 229-438-3901.
Meetings are generally held on the first Thursday of the month at 2:00 p.m. at 240 Pine Avenue, Suite 380, Conference Room.
|William Geer, Chairman||County|
|Billy Merritt, Vice-Chairman||County|
Chapter 20 Planning
Article II. Albany-Dougherty Planning Commission
Sec. 20-20. Powers, Duties and Responsibilities
- It shall be the function and duty of the Albany-Dougherty Planning Commission, subject to the direction and control of the respective governing authorities, to make surveys and studies of existing conditions and probable future developments and to prepare such plans for physical, social and economic growth as will best promote the public health, safety, morals, convenience, prosperity, general welfare, efficiency and economy in the development of the City of Albany and Dougherty County. In particular, the Albany-Dougherty Planning Commission shall have the power and duty, subject to the direction and control of the governing authorities, to:
- Prepare a master plan or parts thereof for the development of the City of Albany and Dougherty County.
- Prepare and recommend to the appropriate governing authorities for adoption amendments to or revisions of zoning ordinances and zoning maps for the City of Albany and Dougherty County.
- Prepare and recommend to the respective governing authorities of the City of Albany and Dougherty County for adoption, regulations and amendments thereto for the subdivision of land within the political jurisdiction of the respective bodies, and to administer such regulations as may be adopted.
- Prepare and recommend to the respective governing authorities of the City of Albany and Dougherty County for adoption of a plat or plats, or an official map, and amendments thereto, showing the exact location of the boundary lines of existing, proposed, extended, widened, or narrowed streets, public open spaces or public building sites, together with regulations to control the erection of buildings and other structures within such lines, within the City of Albany or Dougherty County or specified portions thereof.
- The function and responsibility of the Albany-Dougherty Planning Commission shall be advisory only
- The Albany-Dougherty Planning Commission shall have such additional duties and responsibilities and shall perform such additional functions and services as may be called for from time to time by the City of Albany and Dougherty County, or by either of them.
(Ord. No. 85-167, § 6, 5-30-85)