Commission Approved Proposed Re-Authorization Language for Chehaw Park
Albany, GA (February 11, 2020) – The City Board of Commissioners approved the reauthorization language for the Chehaw Park Authority.
A 1979 Act of the Georgia Assembly established the Chehaw Park Authority. The act and its subsequent amendments, known as the Chehaw Park Authority Enabling Legislation, provides for membership, among other things. The Authority's enabling legislation expires on December 31, 2020. The legislation will be required in the 2020 Legislative Session to re-authorize the Chehaw Park Authority. Language revisions are associated with the constitution of the Board, Board Member terms and the frequency of Board meetings. The proposed changes include:
• Revise the name from “The Parks at Chehaw” to “Chehaw Park & Zoo."
• Revise the enabling legislation sunset date from December 31, 2020, to December 31, 2070.
• Revise the membership to include one member appointed by Lee and Dougherty Counties each.
• Revise the membership to have one appointment from the direct-support organization (Friends of Chehaw) with appointment approval by the Chehaw Board Authority.
• Revise the membership to provide for three appointments by the City of Albany.
• Revise the membership to include the Albany City Manager or designee.
• Revise the number of required Board meetings from one (1) each month for a total of twelve (12) meetings to six (6) meeting a year with at least one (1) meeting per quarter.
For more information, please contact Monique Broughton Knight, Public Information Officer